Car Crash Compensation Claims

Car accidents can have a significant impact on your life. Our expert solicitors are here to help if you have been injured in an accident that was caused by someone else’s negligence.

We can help you claim damages for the injuries, suffering or financial difficulties you have encountered. If you would like us to help you, simply give us a call on 0800 10 757 95, use our online chat feature or fill in the contact form located on this page.

Common injuries

Injuries sustained in a car crash can range in severity, with paralysis and death both unfortunate possible outcomes. Examples of the most common types of injuries and conditions suffered by car crash victims include:

  • Amnesia and memory loss
  • Back injury
  • Broken or fractured bones
  • Burns
  • Cuts and bruises
  • Head and brain injuries
  • Internal injuries, including ruptured organs, internal bleeding and abdominal trauma
  • Loss of a limb due to amputation or crushing
  • Neck injury, including whiplash
  • Post-traumatic stress disorder
  • Spinal cord injuries, including paraplegia and tetraplegia

Common causes

There are many reasons why a car crash might occur. Just some of those we have encountered over the years include:

  • Aquaplaning
  • Being distracted while driving
  • Careless or reckless driving
  • Drink or drug driving
  • Suddenly falling ill at the wheel
  • Driving despite poor eyesight
  • Driving while tired
  • Eating while driving
  • Listening to loud music
  • Petrol spills causing skidding
  • Poor judgement
  • Poorly maintained road markings
  • Potholes and other road defects
  • Speeding
  • Tailgating
  • Ungritted snowy and icy roads
  • Vehicles with faulty brakes

The list above is by no means exhaustive. No matter how your crash was caused, if it was due to someone else’s negligence you can make a claim for compensation.

Accidents involving minors

Drivers are not the only people at risk of suffering in a car accident - passengers can sustain injuries too. If a passenger under the age of 18 (a minor) is injured, they are unable to make a claim. Instead, a parent or guardian will have to take up legal action on their behalf, making them a ‘litigation friend’.

The legal process is the same as if the accident victim was making the claim themselves. However, a minor settlement hearing will be needed to finalise compensation. Any financial payouts awarded in a country court in England, Wales or the High Court of Justice will then be held by the Courts Funds Office until the child reaches the age of 18.

In some cases, money will be released before the child reaches their 18th birthday, provided there are good and compelling reasons to allow access to the compensation. For example, to pay for medical treatments, special education or make modifications to the home if your child has become disabled as a result of the accident.

Accidents involving uninsured or untraced drivers

Many car accidents are caused by uninsured or untraced (hit and run) drivers, making it difficult to pursue a claim down the usual avenues. However, compensation can be sought from the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB), an organisation set up to protect UK motorists and provide a fund for people who have been injured in a car accident involving an unknown or uninsured driver.

For cases involving an uninsured motorist, an injury claim can be made under the MIB’s Uninsured Drivers’ Agreement within 3 years of the car accident, while damage to a vehicle can be claimed for within 6 years of the accident. If you were a passenger injured in a car being driven by an uninsured driver and you were unaware they didn’t have insurance, then you will be able to make a claim with the MIB too.

Drivers, passengers and pedestrians involved in a hit-and-run accident can make a claim under the Untraced Drivers’ Agreement within 3 years of the accident. However, the process is slightly more complex than other claims, as you must report the car accident to the police within 14 days and submit proof of having done so to the MIB.

If you have been injured by an uninsured or untraced driver, our solicitors can guide you through the MIB’s claims process, ensuring you get the compensation you deserve.


How much could I claim?

It is difficult to say exactly how much you could claim as each case is judged on its individual circumstances. Compensation in these cases is broken down into two types of damages:

  • General, which is for the injury alone
  • Special, which covers financial losses that have come about due to your injury

How long do I have to make a claim?

You have a time limit of 3 years to make a claim once it’s apparent that your injury was caused by a car accident.

What if I was partly to blame?

In some car crashes, it is difficult to tell exactly who was responsible for the accident. If you are injured in a crash, the events leading up to the incident might be unclear and the shock of the accident might make it difficult to accurately remember what happened.

Courts will use CCTV footage, police investigation reports and eyewitness accounts to establish where the liability lies. If you’re found to be partly responsible for the incident, the court will judge who deserves more compensation. For example, if you are found to be 30% responsible, you may be entitled to 70% of the compensation.

How YouClaim can help

If you have been injured in a car accident that was not your fault, our experienced personal injury solicitors can help you build a successful case for compensation.

As well as ensuring you receive compensation for your injury, our priority is your recovery. We have access to the country’s best treatment and medical centres, which can make a dramatic difference to your recuperation.

To find out how we have helped others, take a look at our case studies below:

Get started today

Contact our lawyers today to start a claim. Getting in touch is simple - you can either call us on 0800 10 757 95, speak to us using our online chat feature or fill in the enquiry form on this page and we will get back to you as soon as possible.