Police Brutality Claims

If you have been injured by a member of the police force and their actions were not justified, you are entitled to make a claim for compensation. However, you should first contact the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) and visit the duty officer at your local police station. Our experienced solicitors have years of experience handling police brutality claims and can offer you expert advice on pursuing legal action.

To speak to one of our lawyers, call us on 0800 10 757 95. Alternatively, fill in our online enquiry form or chat to us on our e-chat function and let us know a suitable time to give you a call.

Click on an option below to navigate this page:

About police brutality

The vast majority of police officers carry out their jobs admirably under a lot of pressure. However, occasionally some may abuse their power - potentially causing harm to innocent people.

If someone wishes to complain about law enforcement, he or she may consult the IPCC. This organisation is responsible for dealing with complaints and, where appropriate, conduct, supervise or investigate police activities.

An individual can make a complaint to the IPCC if he or she has been adversely affected by an event, witnessed an accident or has suffered inappropriate behaviour.

What the law states

Under the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984, law enforcement officers are only allowed to use ‘reasonable force’ when absolutely necessary. Typically, officers should attempt all other peaceful solutions before considering violence.

However, sometimes officers need to be aggressive to deal with dangerous criminals or to prevent a hazardous situation from becoming worse. Usually, to assess whether or not the use of force was legal, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) will ask several questions:

  • Was the use of force justified in the circumstances?
  • Did the officer use violence excessively?
  • Was the nature and degree of force suitable for the situation?
  • Was the offence serious enough to justify violence?
  • If the person was resisting arrest, was force required to ensure successful apprehension?

Furthermore, when investigating the use of violence, the CPS will examine whether an officer was given appropriate training and guidance.

Common types of police brutality

There are many ways a police office can act inappropriately, including:

Taser guns

There have been a number of cases of members of the public being unfairly shot with tasers. Those affected will be entitled to take legal action.

It is thought that normally, aside from the fleeting pain and short-term trauma caused by a taser, a healthy person would not expect to suffer any permanent damage caused by a taser shot. However, there have been recent cases of individuals dying from being hit by a taser. Those most at risk may include those with diabetes, those with weak hearts and those with other underlying health conditions.

CS gas poisoning

Police are increasingly using defensive weapons such as CS gas in an attempt to disperse violent crowds. However, there have been a number of cases that have involved the general public becoming seriously injured as a result.

CS gas can result in severe burns and blisters on the victim’s skin and the noxious gases can be severe for asthma suffers and those with breathing difficulties.

How YouClaim can help

YouClaim are experts in winning compensation in the niche areas of personal injury as we’re skilled at proving that individuals and organisations have acted negligently. We understand that an act of police brutality may not only leave you with physical injuries but emotional and psychological damage too, and that’s where compensation can be of assistance.

A financial settlement will not only cover the cost of the pain and suffering caused by your injury, time taken off work and medical treatment, but will also allow you to get help from expert counsellors and psychiatrists if required.  

Get started today

To speak to a solicitor about making a claim for police brutality, call us on 0800 10 757 95, fill in our online enquiry form or use our e-chat function.