Crèche and nursery injury claims

If your child has been injured while left in the care of a crèche or nursery, we can provide free, impartial advice on making a claim. Our team of panel solicitors is experienced in representing families who are claiming on behalf of young children.

To make a claim, simply call us on 0800 10 757 95, chat to us using our e-chat function or fill in our online enquiry form and let us know a convenient time to call you back.

Click on an option below to navigate this page:

Causes of crèche and nursery accidents

Handing the care of your children over to others, even when they are fully-trained nursery staff, can be difficult, and despite all the safety precautions in places crèches and nurseries, accidents do happen. Some of the most common causes of accidents we have seen have been caused by:

  • Defective toys
  • Faulty furniture, including chairs, desks and outdoor play equipment
  • Food poisoning due to unhygienic food preparation
  • Slips, trips or falls due to spillages or obstructions
  • Unsuitable flooring, whether indoors or outdoors
  • Failure to supervise active times, such as play and sports

Regardless of how your child has been injured, if it was caused by the negligence of nursery staff, then you are entitled to make a claim for compensation.

Types of injuries

Children in nurseries and crèches can be injured in many ways. In the past, our expert team have helped families claim for:

  • Bumps to the head
  • Cuts and bruises
  • Fractured or broken bones
  • Sickness due to poorly prepared food

The responsibility of nursery staff

There are certain responsibilities and guidelines any crèche, nursery or day centre should adhere to. If they have been ignored and it has resulted in an injury to a child, a compensation claim for negligence can be made. The responsibilities of nursery staff are as follows:

  • All staff should be fully qualified, with relevant checks undertaken
  • There should be a minimum number of responsible adults per number of children
  • There should be comprehensive fire and safety protocols in place
  • There should be trained first aiders amongst the staff
  • Any accident should be recorded in the nursery’s accident book, which the parent must also sign
  • Particular regulations also apply when taking children on day trips

If your child was injured by equipment or a toy at a crèche or nursery, liability may fall with the manufacturer. If whatever caused the injury was of unacceptable quality, it could be that the manufacturer is responsible for the producing faulty item. However, if the toy or equipment was unfit for purpose (e.g. broken, damaged or unchecked), yet was still being used, the nursery may be responsible.

How long do I have to make a claim?

For injuries involving children under 18, parents or another responsible adult are able to make a claim on behalf of their child up until their 18th birthday. Once the child turns 18, they will then have 3 years to make a claim independently from their parents or guardian.

How YouClaim can help

Our solicitors have years of experience in making successful claims on behalf of families, so we understand the distress and difficulty that comes about when one of your children suffers an injury. That’s why we aim to make the claims process as easy as possible by doing all the hard work for you so you can focus on helping your child make a full recovery.

We will act on your behalf to gather evidence to prove the crèche or nursery’s responsibility in your child’s accident. We will also gather witness statements and medical reports to strengthen your case. Your friendly and approachable solicitor will provide regular updates throughout the process so you are kept up to speed and understand what options are available to you at all times.

Get started today

If you believe that your child has suffered an injury due to the negligence of staff at playgroup or nursery, contact us today to start a claim for compensation. Getting in touch is simple either call 0800 10 757 95, fill in the online enquiry form or chat to us directly using our e-chat function.