Broken and Fractured Bone Claims

Broken (or fractured) bones are a fairly common injury, and they can have a detrimental effect on your day-to-day life. You may need ongoing or repeated medical treatment, have to take long periods of time off work or require help getting around. If your broken bones were caused by an accident that was not your fault, you are entitled to make a claim for compensation.

Making a claim will not only ensure you receive the financial compensation for your physical trauma, it can also help with any out of pocket expenses you may face, such as a loss of earnings due to time you may have had to take off work.  

At YouClaim, our personal injury experts have handled many claims for people who have suffered fractured bones in all kinds of situations, from road traffic collisions to accidents in the workplace. To find out more about making a claim, call us today on 0800 10 757 95 or fill in the enquiry form on this page and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Use the links below to navigate to the relevant section:

Types of bone fractures

Fractured bones are commonly caused by falls, road traffic accidents or being hit by an object. We have experience in working with clients who have suffered broken bones in all of these circumstances, as well as those instances that are slightly less common.  We have experience in dealing with multiple broken bones, multiple breaks to the same bone and breaks across all parts of the body, including;

  • Fingers and toes

  • Feet and ankles

  • Wrists

  • Collarbones

  • Arms and legs

  • Ribs

  • The skull

  • The spine

When a broken bone pierces the skin, this is referred to as an open or compound break or fracture. This type of injury is particularly distressing and carries a higher risk of infection. Hairline fractures (sometimes referred to as stress or fissure fractures) are cracks in the bone rather than a full break. They do not usually cause long-lasting damage, but can be a source of pain and suffering in the short to medium term.

Treatment for bone fractures

Most broken bones heal over time when they are held in place by a plaster cast, metal rod(s) or a splint. However, there can be longer term effects, particularly in the case of more severe breaks, including scarring, restricted mobility or a deformation of the affected body part, which usually require further corrective treatments.

In some cases, surgery may be required to realign bones or insert metal supports (usually when a bone has broken in multiple places). This type of treatment is usually accompanied by lengthy periods of physiotherapy.

Treatment for bone fractures can be costly and have a wide-ranging effect on your life. That’s why you should seek compensation; a financial award can help you to manage your circumstances and provide you with peace of mind that your finances will be taken care of.  This means you can focus on making a full recovery.


Am I entitled to compensation?

You are entitled to claim for compensation if your injury was caused by the negligence of a third party, i.e. through somebody’s mistake or lack of care. The amount of compensation awarded varies on a case-by-case basis, depending on the severity of your injury and the impact it will have on your life and any financial losses you’ve suffered as a result of your accident.

What can I claim compensation for?

Broadly speaking, personal injury compensation awards are split into two categories, known as damages. General damages are the compensation you are able to claim for the pain and suffering your injury has caused you, whilst special damages are the compensation you can claim for any financial losses you’ve suffered as a result of your injury.

An experienced lawyer will be able to talk you through everything you’re able to claim within these two categories; however the intention with any personal injury claim is to put you back in the position you would have been in, were it not for the accident and any compensation award will look to do just that.  

My child has suffered a fracture, can I claim compensation on their behalf?

If a child under the age of 18 has broken a bone due to a third party’s negligence, we can advise you on how to make a claim on their behalf.

How YouClaim can help

Our experienced solicitors will investigate and advise on the best course of action you can take should you suffer broken or fractured bones.  Our award-winning team has years of experience, and we are able to use all of this experience, knowledge and skill to get the best result for you.  

We will be with you every step of the way, providing legal advice in plain English, and we will keep you updated on the progress of your claim, working hard to give you the peace of mind that your claim is in excellent hands.

Get started today

If you have suffered a broken bone as a result of an accident that was not your fault, contact YouClaim as soon as possible. To begin your claim, call us free on 0800 10 757 95 or complete our online form on this page and we will call you back.