Army Hearing Loss Claims

Many soldiers who have returned home from service suffering with hearing loss can struggle to adapt to their new life, are often unable to work and can suffer from emotional issues. If you or a loved one have suffered hearing loss during service with the armed forces and it was the result of somebody else’s negligence, you may be able to make a claim for compensation.

Our solicitors have helped many soldiers who have suffered as a result of performing their duties. The majority of cases are settled out of court, with compensation helping soldiers whose hearing has not been sufficiently protected by their superiors.

If you think your hearing loss is a result of your time in the armed forces, call YouClaim today to make an army hearing loss claim. To get in touch, simply call 0800 10 757 95. Alternatively, let us know about your injury by chatting to us online or completing the contact form on this page.

About hearing loss in the armed forces

While in training or out in the field, there are many hazards that can potentially damage your hearing. Risks include:

  • Aircraft noise
  • Artillery and gunfire
  • Explosions
  • Mortars
  • Vehicle engine noise

Making a claim

If you have had your hearing damaged while serving for the armed forces, we can help you make a claim. To receive compensation for your injuries, a claim must be made through a specific compensation scheme. These schemes are managed by Veterans UK on behalf of the Ministry of Defence and the scheme that applies to you will depend on when and where you served.

If you currently serve in the army, or served on or after 6th April 2005 and have suffered from hearing loss, you may be entitled to make a claim under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS).

If you served in the armed forces before 6th April 2005 but suffered deafness as a result of your service, you can claim under the War Pensions Scheme (WPS).

Regardless of when you served in the army, our solicitors are able to help you make a claim for your injuries. Like all hearing loss claims, we will investigate the volume, frequency, duration and intensity of the noise you have been exposed to, and have medical experts examine the full extent of the damage to your ears.

You have 7 years to make a claim under either the AFCS or WPS. In cases where a medical condition is not immediately apparent, there may be exceptions where a claim can be made 3 years after medical advice for a condition has been sought.

If you make a claim with the AFCS or WPS, you are still eligible to make a claim under civilian law too, for example, under the Health and Safety at Work Act, within 3 years of your accident. Our team will be able to discuss making a claim with you in more detail.      

The army’s obligation

Army officers are obliged to ensure all military personnel are provided with adequate hearing protection if exposed to loud noises in training and combat. Officers also have a duty to ensure all soldiers are trained on the correct procedures for certain circumstances in which loud noises are a possibility.

If your army superiors failed to protect you and your hearing, then you may be eligible for compensation and should contact our solicitors to discuss making a claim.

How YouClaim can help

Compensation claims of this nature can often be very complex as it is often difficult to determine whether ear protection was issued or ignored, for instance, or whether poor training and lack of awareness led to hearing loss.

The YouClaim team has years of experience in winning complicated claims for armed forces veterans. Our knowledge and skills in medical law, industrial illness and workplace claims puts us in the optimum position to deliver positive results for each and every client. 

Get started today

If you or a loved one have served in any area of the armed forces and have suffered hearing damage as a result, the Ministry of Defence may be responsible for your injuries as a result of officers failing to provide proper hearing protection. To start your claim, call 0800 10 757 95, chat to us online via our e-chat function or fill in an online enquiry form and we will get back to you.

Case Studies