Foreign Object in Food Compensation Claim

If you have suffered food poisoning or an injury due to a foreign object being found in your food at a restaurant or from a shop, we can help you claim compensation. At YouClaim, our solicitors have years of experience in helping those who have been affected by foreign objects in food  through no fault of their own, and we will do our utmost to help you get the justice you deserve.

To speak to a lawyer about a foreign object you have found in food, contact us on 0800 10 757 95 or chat to us online via our e-chat function. Alternatively, fill in our online enquiry form and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

About foreign objects in food

A foreign object refers to anything that has been found in food that makes it unfit for consumption. This can include paper, plastic, glass, human hair and insects.    

Many cases of food poisoning are caused by incorrect storage or preparation, but occasionally someone might become ill or sustain a personal injury after ingesting food that contains a foreign object. Injuries or illnesses that can occur as a result of a foreign agent include:

  • Food poisoning
  • Breaking or damaging teeth
  • Cutting the mouth and throat
  • Psychological trauma

What to do if you find a foreign object in your food

Upon discovery of a foreign object in a food product, and after contacting the specialists at YouClaim, you should take your complaint to either:

  • The shop where you bought the food
  • The manufacturer of the product
  • The restaurant that served the food

It is important not to remove the item from the food, even if it is partly eaten, and if the product is perishable, you should freeze it to retain the evidence in a good condition.

When the responsible party receives your complaint, they will usually take a witness statement to gain as much information about the circumstances under which the potentially contaminated food was purchased.

Who is responsible?

All those who serve or produce food have a legal responsibility to comply with guidelines enforced by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). If an eatery or supplier fails to comply with these regulations and you are injured or become ill as a result, you are entitled to compensation.

When a complaint is brought forward, an investigation is usually commenced by visually identifying the foreign object, or analysing the item if it is difficult to classify. If the store or restaurant finds that the object is present in error, is unhygienic and was mixed with the food during the manufacturing process, it will contact the company responsible. The Food Standards Agency might also be contacted so that its opinion of the firm’s health standards can be taken into account.

Once liability has been identified, a claim can be brought against the responsible party. Regardless of who is responsible for your injury or illness, you can either make a product liability claim or food poisoning compensation claim.

How YouClaim can help

At YouClaim, our dedicated team of specialist lawyers have earned a reputation for dealing with all types of foreign object claims and obtaining the maximum amount of compensation as speedily as possible.

We will give you straightforward advice at every stage of your claim, and ensure you do not have to worry about a thing during the claims process.

Get started today

If you would like to make a claim for a foreign object found in your food, our solicitors are waiting to hear from you. Simply call us on 0800 10 757 95, chat to us online or fill in our enquiry form and let us know a suitable time to get back to you.

Case Studies