We received a call from a young man who wanted to make a product liability claim after he gained two broken teeth from a contaminated packet of nuts.
The twenty-two-year-old was on his way to the cinema to meet his girlfriend when he stopped at his local newsagents for a packet of cashew nuts for them to share while watching the film.
He opened the packet as he was feeling peckish and had a nasty surprise when he bit into something particularly hard. He felt a sharp pain and shuddered all over. When he spat the contents of his mouth into his hand, pieces of broken teeth and stone were revealed.
After inserting a finger into his mouth to feel the area where the pain was coming from he felt that some teeth were jagged and broken. He walked a little further to the cinema, by which time some of the shock had diminished and he was in even more pain, explained to his girlfriend what had happened and asked her to take him to the dental department at the local A&E.
A dentist examined him and told him that as a result of biting into the stone which was in his packet of nuts he had two broken molars, one at the top and one at the bottom. He also explained that the pain that he was experiencing was emanating from damage to his gum at the back of his mouth and an exposed nerve that needed immediate dental care. The dentist cleaned up the mouth, treated the injuries as best he could, temporarily fixed the broken teeth and instructed the young man to make an emergency appointment to see his own dentist for further work to be carried out.
After seeing his own dentist and receiving the hefty bill for the dental work he decided that he wanted to make a claim and got our phone number from a colleague. He gave our claim advisors a call, told us how he had sustained his two broken teeth and that he had kept the packet that the contaminated nuts had come in along with the stone that he had bitten into for proof and testing.
We took on his case on a no win no fee basis and put him in touch with one of our solicitors who specialises in such cases and she offered him reliable legal advice. Within a few months he received a satisfactory offer of £3,800 in compensation from the snack manufacturer to cover pain and suffering, lost earnings and the dental work that he had undergone.
How a mother made a successful claim on behalf of her daughter who sustained burn injuries from faulty hair straighteners.Read more
A five-year old's father awarded £17,000 for trampoline accident.Read more
Case study of a man who made a claim after suffering a fractured coccyx when a defective bar stool collapsed.Read more
The story of how a man received £3,800 after biting into a stone in his food.Read more