Every year there are devastating media reports of homes that have fallen victim to house-fires caused by faulty Christmas lights and many product liability claims follow suit. Around 600 million is spent on Christmas decorations every year, amongst which close to 10 million sets of fairy lights are purchased.
We love our homes to look beautiful, bright and festive and will display lights on our trees, around our window frames and in any space that we can find, really. But when it comes to decorating the outside of our abodes they soon become far from humble. It seems that we have joined the frivolities of friends across the pond in a bid to create the biggest and brightest display of twinkling lights that ever there was. Neighbours, relatives and friends compete for the largest lit-up Santa Claus balancing precariously on the roof tiles or dazzling present-clad sleigh resting on the front lawn.
However, 14 million neighbours have said that Christmas decorations have gone way over the top and excessive flashing lights can easily drown Christmas spirits. The Halifax has also warned consumers against the potential dangers of fairy lights as electrical fires in the home increase by 33% around Christmas time.
Insurance companies receive claim upon claim from householders whose homes have been consumed by fires caused by Christmas lights, candles, open fires and accidents while cooking. We also receive countless personal injury compensation claims from people who have sustained burn injuries or worse in such accidents.
Remember these top tips to avoid sustaining personal injury from faulty tree lights and the need to make a product liability claim this festive season:
If you have sustained an injury as a result of faulty Christmas lights, a faulty gift or any other faulty Christmas product such as crackers, then you could make a product liability claim through YouClaim on a no win no fee basis. Get in touch today by calling 0800 10 757 95 or click "start claim" below.
How a mother made a successful claim on behalf of her daughter who sustained burn injuries from faulty hair straighteners.Read more
A five-year old's father awarded £17,000 for trampoline accident.Read more
Case study of a man who made a claim after suffering a fractured coccyx when a defective bar stool collapsed.Read more
The story of how a man received £3,800 after biting into a stone in his food.Read more