A mushroom farm worker has been left with severe personal injuries after being crushed in an accident at work, whilst employed at a North Somerset farm.
The 32-year-old employee from Poland had been using a specialised washing machine for cleaning the nets which cover the mushroom beds. As he fed the net into the machine his hand became caught and was pulled into the rotating parts.
The man suffered extensive soft tissue damage and his arm was broken in two places as a result of the work accident.
A Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation revealed that the machine had been operated regularly without the necessary safety devices, which had been deliberately removed to allow workers to hold the nets in place by hand.
The investigation also discovered that the worker had received no formal training on the machine despite it being the first time he had operated it.
The mushroom farm admitted to a causing the accident at work due to a breach of the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations at North Somerset Magistrates Court and was fined £32,000 and ordered to pay £3,624.59 in court costs.
Published on 2011-09-16 22:13:00
Mr F, a contractor working for Network Rail, fell over an unmarked steel peg while on site, fracturing his left wrist. He decid…Read more
A delivery driver, Mr N was assisting to unload some steel beams he had delivered to a building site, when the forklift truck dr…Read more
£8,000 awarded to Miss C after falling on water left buy cleaners.Read more
£6,400 for a farm worker who made a claim after sustaining serious injuries due to a cow trampling his foot.Read more